Monday, May 27, 2013

Beach Judging Criteria and a little about me

About me:

It doesn't matter that much but if you are curious I was born on an island and I grew up hitting the beaches of Trinidad each weekend. I moved from the Caribbean to different places in North America, Europe, and Asia and I found that the advice I received about beaches to visit was terrible. I checked Lonely Planet, Conde Nast, Youtube, Google, and any other source I could think of looking at first for the best beach in my own area and then the world.

I could not find any criteria for judging these beaches- not even when I searched surfing websites. Then in searching for the best beaches on the internet there were some ridiculous choices that made me think somebody somewhere got bribed.

So below please find my beach judging criteria:

Beach Judging Criteria
-        Size of beach
o   Length of shoreline
o   Distance from shore to sand
-        Sand type
o   Black
o   Brown
o   White
o   Pink
o   Artificial
o   No sand, but stones
-        Water Appearance
o   Blue
o   Green
o   Transparent to how many feet
-        Cleanliness
o   Is there trash in the water
o   Is there trash on the land
o   Are trash cans available
o   Are trash cans emptied regularly
o   Oil?
o   Sewage?
-        Water Temperature
-        Shade availability
o   Seating
o   Resting
o   Coconut trees/ are they full of coconuts that can fall on people’s heads
-        Safety
o   Dangerous riptides
o   Tsunami possibility
o   Lifeguards
o   Poisonous jellyfish or snakes
-        Available Activities
o   Swimming distances
o   Free diving
o   Surfing
o   Snorkeling
o   Scuba
o   Partying/ beautiful women congregating
o   Food and drink/ disposal
o   Sports
-        Level of Calm
o   Only big wave surfing available
o   Powerful waves and powerful tides but the frolicking in waves is a possibility
o   Waves available but swimming available past waves- current weak
o   Swimming great- no surfing possible light waves
-        Animals
o   Are there fishing birds
o   Are fish visible
o   Jellyfish
o   Sea eggs
o   Crabs
o   Horseshoe crabs
o   Turtles
o   Sea ants- other biting animals
o   Barracuda
o   Sharks
o   Coral- sharp or otherwise
-        Plant Life/ Other
o   Seaweed/kelp
o   Sharp stones
o   Sharp shells
o   Coconut trees/ providing shade but also crabs
-        Access
o   Is it public/private
o   Is it free if public access is available
o   Can you drive there
o   Do you have to take a boat there
-        Price
o   Beaches should be free
-        Land Pests
o   Sandflies
o   Ants
o   Mosquitoes
-        Other

-        Overall Beach Vibe

SAbove was the criteria. It's pretty simple to follow; all you have to do is answer the questions on another page I will give an example of how I used this criteria in judging one of Thailand's beaches.




No comments:

Post a Comment